What ‘Sustainability’ Means for Businesses An issue that many of today’s businesses are facing is how to reduce its environmental impact without raising costs or… Read More »
You’ve probably heard a lot lately about “going green” but what does that exactly mean? “Green” means having a minimal negative impact to the environment and maximum conservation of resources and energy efficiency. If you’re looking to make the shift to eco-friendly labels, call 1-800-475-2235 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
We’re L.I.F.E. Certified!
In 2013, we received the L.I.F.E. (Label Initiative for the Environment) certification from the Tag and Label Manufacturing Institute (TLMI) for finding cost-effective ways for reducing our environmental footprint. Our experience in managing materials waste, energy consumption, and chemical disposal can help you achieve an eco-friendly labeling solution.
Different Options for Eco-Friendly Labels
Recycled, recyclable, and renewable are often used interchangeably but there are several key differences when it comes to eco-friendly labels:
- Recycled means the label stock contains materials recycled from the manufacturing process or post-consumer waste.
- Recyclable means the label can safely go through the recycling process. (Please note that most sensitive labels cannot be recycled due to their adhesive, unless they use a “recycling compatible adhesive” which are a specialty product.)
- Renewable means the label stock comes from resources which can be replenished as quickly as they’re used. Examples of renewable materials include corn, sugar cane, and bamboo.
We carry renewable materials certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) to better ensure your labels aren’t harmful to the environment. The FSC verifies that wood-based products, like recyclable label stock, come from forests which are managed in a sustainable way. To learn more about material options, please read below.
Popular Materials Used
We offer a variety of eco-friendly materials in stock, however, we can order a specialty material if you need something else (please note that specialty materials may have minimum order requirements). Most of our customers who buy eco-friendly labels use one of the following products:
- Polylactic acid (PLA) film is a biodegradable thermoplastic polymer derived from lactic acid rather than petroleum and other fossil resources. It’s a highly versatile material and is made from 100% renewable resources like corn, sugar beets, wheat, and other starch-rich products. PLA exhibits many properties that are equivalent to or better than many petroleum-based plastics, making it suitable for a variety of applications.
- Tree-free label stock is a white paper-like stock made from bamboo pulp, sugar cane, and cotton linters. Tree-free label stock provides a smooth print surface and is ideal for specialty food and wine labels.
- FSC certified papers come in a variety of styles to suit different markets and applications. Whether you’re looking for a high end look or a cost-effective alternative to your current labels, we’ve got you covered.
Let our customer service team know what you hope to achieve with your labels so they can help you determine which materials will work best for your needs. Learn more about sustainability trends in the label industry to see what other things you can do to have eco-friendly custom labels.