November and December are big months for spending…and stress. Customers are on the lookout for all sorts of deals to minimize the holidays’ impact on their wallet. Custom printed coupon labels and promotional stickers are an effective, easy way for product owners to advertise their holiday promotion to budget-conscious shoppers. Whether it’s a “buy one get one free” promotion or a limited edition item, there are a number of ways you can get customers excited about buying your product with coupon labels while helping them get into the holiday spirit.
Make an Offer They Can’t Ignore
There are two essential aspects to creating a successful coupon or promotional label: the offer and design. We’ll get to design in a little bit, but let’s talk about different types of offers you can consider for your holiday promotions.
- Percent Discount: A popular offer we see for promotional stickers is the percentage based discount that typically range from 5% to 75%. Large discounts of 50% and up tend to attract more customers but are best used for liquidating surplus stock or old merchandise. Percent discounts can be applied towards specific items, related brands or storewide.
- Bulk Discount: This type of discount is handy for attracting customers who have a lot of people to think about whether it’s preparing large family meals, baking treats for friends and coworkers, or giving gifts out that would rival Santa. Some examples of bulk discounts – “Buy 10, Get 10% Off” and “3 for $25.”
- Coupon Code: Peel-back coupons often reveal a barcode to scan or numerical/alphabetical code that customers can redeem at checkout. Coupon codes can be used along with other types of discounts; the difference between percent and bulk discounts from coupon code labels is that it’s not automatically applied unless given to the cashier, and can be saved for later use.
- Buy 1 Get 1 Free: Also known by the acronym “BOGO,” buy one get one free offers are another effective way to entice bulk-shoppers. Product owners can tweak this offer with other variations like “Buy 2, Get 1 Free,” and so on. We typically print BOGO stickers for food, beverage and personal care products, but this type of offer can work with anything.
- QR Code: Connect with mobile-friendly consumers with a QR code label; QR codes are square graphics that can be scanned with a smartphone app that opens up a webpage, video, photo, etc. For holiday promotions, you can use QR code labels to open digital coupons, weekly special ads, giveaways or contest signups. The benefit of using a QR code is flexibility. For example, dynamic QR codes allow you to change what it links to at any time without having to change the graphic (static QR codes will only open the online material it was first linked to).
Design with the Customer Mind
Once you determine your offer(s), next comes the fun part – artwork! Working with a professional label designer can make it easier to achieve high quality artwork that not only prints well, but is also eye-catching to shoppers. Whether you decide to hire a professional or rely on your own design skills, here are some tips that can help you create coupon labels and promotional stickers that make your message appealing to customers.
- Consider different label shapes: Most labels tend to be rectangle since it’s a shape that works for many different uses and offers more design space than other shapes. However, there are plenty of other shapes you can consider to make your coupon or promotion stand out. Stars, ovals, diamonds…we have over 2,000 cutting dies so you can find the right shape and size that works with your product’s packaging.
- Use bright, festive colors: White labels with black text aren’t the most exciting looking labels. Consider designing your label with red, green or blue to make your offer appear more inviting. You can either use bright label stock or use colorful text and graphics to add excitement to your design. But don’t go overboard with too many colors, graphics and text because your offer should be easy to read at a quick glance.
- Bling it up with eye-catching label material: Draw attention to your coupon labels with holographic or foil material that reflect light at different angles. Not only do shiny labels draw attention, they can resemble ornaments and lights which can help your coupons look festive – particularly when paired with a custom shape like a star. Holographic and foil materials also tend to have a more lux look which works great for communicating the quality of your product.
The holidays are a special time but that doesn’t mean it’s without some headaches, especially for shoppers who are watching how much they spend. Make it a win-win situation for your business and customers by offering holiday coupons and promotions. It’s important to craft the right message for your target audience and choose labels/stickers that can best communicate it. Hopefully these label tips can help you spread some holiday cheer!